Thursday, December 11, 2008

Portfolio: Final Exam

Automatic Fix

Procrastination is a characteristic of all, and in a sense Microsoft word feeds into that procrastination. Geoffrey Meredith, in “The Demise of Writing”, writes about the terrible literacy rates among America’s youth that existed in the past. He emphasizes on hope for higher literacy rates, in that “today’s 80% literacy rate is an anomaly, the result of dramatically higher education levels.” He proceeds to state that it is evident American youth is dependent on the technological aid of Microsoft word in providing correct grammar. I agree with Geoffrey Meredith’s optimism, in that today’s literacy is very high today, and thus has improved from the past. I don’t wholesomely agree with him on the position of Microsoft being an essential and necessary tool for youth to read and write. Thus, I believe Microsoft is a detrimental program to young peoples writing because youth become dependant on its abilities to automatically provide correct grammar.

In “The Demise of Writing,” Geoffrey Meredith speaks of Microsoft clearly being needed, stating that, “Microsoft’s Word program includes not just spelling checkers but subroutines that suggest and correct syntax, grammar, and even paragraph structure. And clearly these functions are needed.” These functions are not needed, and I justify my position from my own observations in school. From what I have witnessed in school, I have seen Microsoft to be detrimental to student’s writing. For example, one of my peers, named Kevin, at Truman High school, had issues with spelling words correctly and writing well structured sentences. While using Microsoft word, he wouldn’t attempt to learn how to spell his words correctly; he would just click spell check. Similarly, while using word, when he was having issues with writing correct sentence structure, he would just click the option word gave him to fix it. In this regard, his learning process was almost non-existent, and if he faced his issues, I know he would overcome his writing issues very quickly.

I admit, I have become, to an extent, been dependent on word for spell check and correct sentence structure. I have ignored some of the fundamental principles of writing by becoming dependant on Microsoft word. Thankfully, I have recently began to take the initiative in examining what I did wrong in my writing before clicking that automatic fix. But for many, that automatic fix continues to be something they’re dependent on, and will continue to use until forced to do otherwise or eventually fade out of it by the severe demands of writing in life. This automatic fix is abundant in today’s amount of technology.

Today, there are many aspects of technological devices or programs that are counter productive for students. Microsoft word is just another technological program with counter productive as well as some productive attributes to youth’s writing. The possible consequences of this phenomenon aren’t really that severe. I just believe that it is preferable to have youth become as efficient in writing as possible at a young age, and not be dependent on a program until they’re adults. The essential rule of thumb is early growth. If I begin to cultivate a young tree rather than an old tree, then when the young tree comes to be of that old age, it will have surpassed the older trees vitality.

No comments: